I receive this question a lot: Can what I eat cause pimples? The answer is yes. Of course, that isn’t the only thing that causes acne but why not eat to promote the healthy skin you want? Below is a short list of ‘yes’ and ‘no’ foods in regards to acne.
Things to eliminate:
- Limit foods high in sugar with a high glycemic index (white bread, bagels, sweets), as those may promote the production of certain hormones linked to acne
- Omega-6 fatty acids (refined vegetable oils, fried foods) are thought to contribute to inflammation
- In a study comparing people with no or mild acne to those with moderate to severe, the ones with moderate to severe acne reported greater dietary glycemic index, added sugar, total sugar, number of milk servings per day, saturated fat, and trans-fatty acids, and fewer servings of fish per day
Things to include:
- Low glycemic foods (whole foods, whole grains, legumes, eggs, fish, fruits and vegetables)
- Certain vitamins and minerals are also crucial to include.
- vitamin A: sweet potatoes, carrots, dark leafy greens, winter squashes, lettuce, dried apricots, cantaloupe, bell peppers, fish, liver, and tropical fruits.
- vitamin D: salmon, mackerel, mushrooms, herring, sardines, catfish, tuna, cod liver oil, eggs, sunshine
- zinc: lamb, pumpkin seeds, grass-fed beef, chickpeas, cocoa powder, cashews, mushrooms, spinach, chicken
- copper: oysters, raw kale, shiitake mushrooms, sesame seeds, cashew nuts, chickpeas, prunes, avocados,
- selenium: brazil nuts, oysters, tuna, sunflower seeds, pork, beef, lamb, chicken, turkey, mushrooms, whole grains
- green tea: a great anti-inflammatory and antioxidant
- Fish and seafood: May help prevent acne, most likely due to their Omega 3 content.
- Omega-3 fatty acids: reduce inflammation with foods like nuts(walnuts), fatty fish, and eggs.
- A good probiotic: anti inflammatory
- Turmeric: anti inflammatory
- Tamanu oil may be effective as a topical treatment or as part of a facial cleanser for continuous acne control. It’s anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and antifungal.
Hope that helps!