I wrote recently about our 100 trillion bacteria living in our gut. If all circumstances are ideal, these bacteria are good and diverse. And keep us in good health
Good healthful gut bacteria are very delicate. And harmful ones are hearty. Here are the things that change your gut bacteria for the WORSE:
- The foods you eat
- C-section birth
- A woman’s body actually pours tons of protective good bacteria into the birth canal during labor so that the baby is covered during birth. These protective bacteria are the baby’s first exposure to any microbes.
- Even one course of antibiotics can alter the ratio. Some species are killed off completely
- Most of the antibiotics used are in the animal industry and we are consuming them in the meat we eat.
- GI infections
- Chronic stress
- Environmental Toxins
- Low stomach acid
- Excessive hygiene
The term for having a poor ratio of good bacteria and low diversity of microbes is gut dysbiosis.
Gut Dysbiosis is associated with:
- Bloating and distention
- Crohn’s and Colitis
- Some cancers
- Allergies and food sensitivities
- Heart disease
- Mental disorders: autism, Alzheimer’s, schizophrenia, anxiety, depression
It’s important to get your gut health back! Book an appointment today to get your gut flora in shape!